FairlyCale

The ultimate John Cale forum.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Paris 1919 in Los Angeles!

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:30 pm

A United States date! I am sooooooo happy!

And on the top of the page it says "West Coast Premiere" I wonder if more will follow.


On the problem side, now I'm debating if I should canceled my Europe trip as there will be a Stateside gig to go to.

View user profile

2 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Hey Paul,

This is just strange luck... Yeah, tough decision!

But I'm really happy for the US fans that they now also can see/hear this great show!!!

And for us all I hope, he still will work on the new album...

Cheers, Nayika

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/WeKnowJohnCale

3 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi Paul,

tough decision indeed.

Are you looking forward to visit Europe or would you only cross the Atlantic to see JC?

View user profile

4 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:49 am

Isabel wrote:Hi Paul,

tough decision indeed.

Are you looking forward to visit Europe or would you only cross the Atlantic to see JC?

I want to visit Europe but I don't want to spend the whole trip mainly alone, which would be the current case. I would rather hold off until one of my friends can go.

The one thing I'm scared of: I'm irrationally scared that the LA gig could get cancelled. I don't expect ticket sales to be very good. If the LA gig were to not happen I would be screwed if I didn't end up going to Europe.

I've already bought a pair of tickets to both the Brescia and Paris gig. I hope if I can go to the LA gig that another Cale fan can have them!

View user profile

5 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:38 am

I already bought tickets to the LA show (though they're technically not on sale yet, I 'subscribed' to UCLA Live in order to get in there first) and am EXTREMELY excited. I'm only 17, but have wanted to see John Cale since I can remember and never thought he'd come to the US, let alone the west coast (where I live). I would be absolutely devastated if it was canceled, but I can't see that happening because he's performing with the UCLA orchestra and it looks like they're viewing it as a homecoming of sorts, since the album was originally recorded in LA with the UCLA orchestra.

Paul: If it were me, I'd go to the both the European shows and the LA one. Who knows how many more shows/tours Cale will do (though he's still going strong at 68), and he's sooooo awesome that it seems impossible to pass up any opportunity to see him.

View user profile

6 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:08 pm

ludlowstreet wrote:I already bought tickets to the LA show (though they're technically not on sale yet, I 'subscribed' to UCLA Live in order to get in there first) and am EXTREMELY excited. I'm only 17, but have wanted to see John Cale since I can remember and never thought he'd come to the US, let alone the west coast (where I live). I would be absolutely devastated if it was canceled, but I can't see that happening because he's performing with the UCLA orchestra and it looks like they're viewing it as a homecoming of sorts, since the album was originally recorded in LA with the UCLA orchestra.

Paul: If it were me, I'd go to the both the European shows and the LA one. Who knows how many more shows/tours Cale will do (though he's still going strong at 68), and he's sooooo awesome that it seems impossible to pass up any opportunity to see him.

Well there goes my title as youngest member on the forum! Damn Ludlow, how did you afford to subscribe? I considered it, but it was too much money. I think I'm going going to go to the LA show only. I can't afford to go to the Europe and LA shows without using my entire savings. I mean I doubt it will be cancelled since LA is his hometown, I'm just paranoid because if anything goes wrong I'm screwed.

I don't know what to do whit my Europe will call tickets now, I wish I could just give them to someone. The Brescia ones are 2nd row and the Paris ones 6th. Watch I get really shitty seats for the LA show.

View user profile

7 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Hey Paul, for the Brescia trip I suggest you to post maybe on this Facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001270699469&ref=ts
Otherwise, I also could try to collect them in Brescia and give them there to other fans, since Isabel and I will definitely join. But sometimes it's a bit tricky to get the tickets. They might want to see your credit card. Do you want me to ask an Italian friend to call there and check the options? Of course we won't keep them or exchange them with our front row tickets Evil or Very Mad
And for Paris you could maybe ask Isabel?

I'm also very optimistic about the UCLA gig. Michael, Dustin and Josh will also attract all their family members and friends... After all they all live there. I have a feeling that it will be sold out. And ludlowstreet, can't you help out Paul with purchasing a ticket. Solidarity among Cale fans? I know, I'm really naughty... But this system is really astonishing! I'm happy that it rarely works like this in Europe. Anyway, Isabel is the Queen of getting front row tickets cheers

Cheers to Cale's young fans!!!

PS: By the way, most members in our Facebook group are from the US.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/I-bet-I-cant-find-100000-people-who-know-John-Cale/277162839296?ref=ts
Cale has definitely quite a lot of fans there. I hope for more concerts for you!

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/WeKnowJohnCale

8 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:43 pm

Sorry, I'd like to help you get tickets, but the only reason I can afford them is because my parents love Cale as well (though not as fervently as I do) and they're viewing the trip as my birthday/Christmas present. That and the fact that by purchasing three tickets, it only added $20 to our total because of the 15% discount. But I wouldn't worry too much about getting decent seats because I just checked and only 50 people have saved seats through the subscription process (I bought mine over a month ago and was 20th). Because I'm a freak, I looked at the way the seats are set up, and there are 16 in a row (not including the side columns), which means that so far they're only filled up to the fourth row. Tickets go on sale August 2nd, so you should be fine. I can't see many more people purchasing tickets before that.

And can you sell your other tickets on Craigslist?

View user profile

9 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:55 pm

I can't sell the tickets on craigslist because they're will call and in my name. My only option is to ask the venues if I can transfer them to another person. I will give them away for free, I just don't want them to go to waste.

Yeah, sounds like I can get a decent seat. I'm going to get a seat in the highest tier price setting (I think it's like $80). I will be impressed if they sell more than 500 tickets.

Have you ever been to LA? I'm going to be flying in from Baltimore and I know nothing about the city. Hotel prices are pretty scary though Shocked . I need to decide how many days I'm going to stay in town and what sites to see.

View user profile

10 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:07 pm

Ludlowstreet, sorry, I didn't mean to bother you. I had no clue that it's so complicated. Just thought you need to be a member and then you can purchase tickets before all the non-members. Strange system!

Paul, I'm sure you could also sell these tickets; maybe just for the price you purchased them. It would be really bad, if they are not used at all. In Norwich in the first row next to me was also an empty seat. Too bad! I guess, a lot people from the back seats would have loved to sit there.

By the way, I have been to L.A. - even to the UCLA; for a conference. Huh, not my city ... Luckily, everything was arranged by the university. But what about couch surfing? That's even for free!

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/WeKnowJohnCale

11 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Haha no problem, Nayika. And yeah, the ticket system is quite interesting.

My dad lives in Pasadena, which is near LA, so I go there a lot. I can't say it's my favorite city either -- actually, I don't really view it as much of a city in the conventional sense of the term because it's so spread out and because no one really seems to live in the city -- but there's definitely a lot of cool stuff in the surrounding area. Plus, the UCLA campus is beautiful. You don't need to bother staying 'in' the city, and you can probably find a decent hotel in the area that isn't horribly expensive. Also, because the public transportation in LA (and all of California, for that matter) completely sucks, you probably want to think about renting a car. Either that or pick a hotel near a metro stop.

Despite the smog and heat, there are some great places to visit. Some I suggest:

Walt Disney Concert Hall -- it's absolutely gorgeous!!
The Getty -- very close to UCLA, with beautiful architecture and gardens
Venice Beach
Science Center, Natural History Museum, etc. in Exposition Park
Sunset Boulevard & Amoeba Music (and Hollywood Boulevard, which always makes me think of the Kinks song "Celluloid Heroes")
LACMA & La Brea Tar Pits
and there's always Disneyland, but that's all the way down in Anaheim...

That's all I can think of at the moment, but there's still a ton more to do!

View user profile

12 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:05 am

Wow, you are right about the LA transit system; it doesn't even go to UCLA! I'm spoiled by DC's metro system which goes anywhere needed.

I'm going to try to rent a car but I'm only about to turn 22 and I thing you have to usually be 25.

I've been researching things to do in LA and honestly most of the things there don't appeal to me. LA has never been high on my list of places to go list. I might just fly in, stay two nights and then fly back to Baltimore.

View user profile

13 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:36 pm

Paul wrote:
ludlowstreet wrote:I'm only 17

Well there goes my title as youngest member on the forum!

sorry to change the subject a little, but I'm 17 too and I'm now wondering who is actually the forum baby . . .

hi ludlowstreet !

View user profile http://twitter.com/jivedot

14 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:06 pm

Haha I turn 18 in February. You?

View user profile

15 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:44 pm

I take solace in the fact there are other young Cale fans.


I'm getting really anxious, I want to buy my ticket.

View user profile

16 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:45 pm

ludlowstreet wrote:Haha I turn 18 in February. You?

you win ! I'm eighteen this December :-D

View user profile http://twitter.com/jivedot

17 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:31 am

jivedot wrote:
ludlowstreet wrote:Haha I turn 18 in February. You?

you win ! I'm eighteen this December :-D

Well it was extremely close! Smile

View user profile

18 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:42 pm

ludlowstreet wrote:
jivedot wrote:
ludlowstreet wrote:Haha I turn 18 in February. You?

you win ! I'm eighteen this December :-D

Well it was extremely close! Smile

yes, very Smile do you think now we've announced these the Wonderful Mr Cale will come and play for us to celebrate our birthdays ?

View user profile http://twitter.com/jivedot

19 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:24 am

ludlowstreet wrote: Tickets go on sale August 2nd, so you should be fine. I can't see many more people purchasing tickets before that.

Darn, public tickets don't go on sale until the 9th.

View user profile

20 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:36 pm

jivedot wrote:
ludlowstreet wrote:
jivedot wrote:
ludlowstreet wrote:Haha I turn 18 in February. You?

you win ! I'm eighteen this December :-D

Well it was extremely close! Smile

yes, very Smile do you think now we've announced these the Wonderful Mr Cale will come and play for us to celebrate our birthdays ?

That would be very, very awesome. Perhaps I should talk to him about it in LA. Smile

View user profile

21 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Paul wrote:
ludlowstreet wrote: Tickets go on sale August 2nd, so you should be fine. I can't see many more people purchasing tickets before that.

Darn, public tickets don't go on sale until the 9th.

Oh, that sucks! Sorry, I guess I just saw that the August 2nd date was for people who want to buy a series and didn't realize the real date was the 9th. I'm actually a little worried now, though, because when I bought the tickets it said "seat allocated later," so I don't know if I'm supposed to go to the UCLA Live website to actually get my seats. I don't know why they'd say the 2nd is the date on which subscribers can purchase tickets if it's possible to purchase them beforehand.

View user profile

22 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:06 pm

ludlowstreet wrote:
Paul wrote:
ludlowstreet wrote: Tickets go on sale August 2nd, so you should be fine. I can't see many more people purchasing tickets before that.

Darn, public tickets don't go on sale until the 9th.

Oh, that sucks! Sorry, I guess I just saw that the August 2nd date was for people who want to buy a series and didn't realize the real date was the 9th. I'm actually a little worried now, though, because when I bought the tickets it said "seat allocated later," so I don't know if I'm supposed to go to the UCLA Live website to actually get my seats. I don't know why they'd say the 2nd is the date on which subscribers can purchase tickets if it's possible to purchase them beforehand.

Oh wait, I just checked my account and they gave me tickets!

View user profile

23 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:21 am

Does it look like a lot more tickets sold?

View user profile

24 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:34 pm

ludlowstreet wrote:
. . .

That would be very, very awesome. Perhaps I should talk to him about it in LA. Smile

yes ! wield some influence ! Smile

View user profile http://twitter.com/jivedot

25 Re: Paris 1919 in Los Angeles! on Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:44 pm

Tickets go on sale tomorrow. I better get a good seat considering I have to give up the 2nd row seats I have for Brescia!

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum