FairlyCale

The ultimate John Cale forum.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chum of Lou Reed/The Velvet Underground

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Chum of Lou Reed/The Velvet Underground on Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:24 am

This should be an interesting thread.

I still can't seem to come across an answer about how much Cale was involved with Songs for Drella. Some sources make it sound like it was Lou dominated.

View user profile

2 Re: Chum of Lou Reed/The Velvet Underground on Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:30 am

I though Lou Reed always dominated ?

View user profile http://twitter.com/jivedot

3 Re: Chum of Lou Reed/The Velvet Underground on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:29 am

I always thought that mainly the music was Cale's job and writing lyrics was Reed's and that it was a real collaboration. At least that's what the Maestro says in "What's Welsh for Zen?"
The fight began afterwards when it came to producing.
But "Zen" is the only source I have. Which other sources are you refering too, @Paul?

View user profile

4 Re: Chum of Lou Reed/The Velvet Underground on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:09 pm

I've always believed it was 50/50 but when the credits were being assembled for the release Reed announced it was his project. Cale's comment on the cover booklet was sarcastic and aimed at Reed

5 Re: Chum of Lou Reed/The Velvet Underground on Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:22 pm

Cale must have done a reasonable amount, because I can't stand Reed solo and I like Songs For Drella.

View user profile http://twitter.com/jivedot

6 Re: Chum of Lou Reed/The Velvet Underground on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:04 am

Isabel wrote:I always thought that mainly the music was Cale's job and writing lyrics was Reed's and that it was a real collaboration. At least that's what the Maestro says in "What's Welsh for Zen?"
The fight began afterwards when it came to producing.
But "Zen" is the only source I have. Which other sources are you refering too, @Paul?

I don't have any sources on me right now, but the impression that I got was that Cale contributed a lot to Drella but Lou sort of shut him out in the post-production portion.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum